- Mathematics: Students will be working to finish chapter 1 of our math program, College Preperatory Mathematics (CPM). This chapter was a review of 5th grade math along with a preview of topics we will cover this year. It is also intended to give student practice working in teams. We will then move into chapter 2, which focuses on graphic representation, area, and using area models to support multiplication understanding.
Sixth grade is the time in mathematics where we take foundational skills learned in years past and apply them to higher level concepts. This is especially apparent in their work with expressions and equations, where we introduce variables and start having students manipulate real-life algebraic equations.This is an exciting time for mathematics in sixth grade here in SLCUSD. We are in our first year using a new math program called College Preparatory Mathematics. Please see this website created by the district for more information about our math instruction and to learn how you can help your child succeed: Middle School Math for Students and Families
- Reading:We have been working on building stanima in reading, and focusing on skills that make us strong readers. We will take this knowledge with us as we move into fiction unit built around studying characters actions, inner thinking, and dialogue.
- Writing: Students are working with Mrs. Greenelsh on a Personal Narrative Unit. They are taking a small, important moment from their life and using the writing workshop process to produce a published piece.
- Science: All sixth graders will be working together starting early September on a Project Based Learning unit titled "Healthy Habits" in which they will learn about what causes the flu and develop prevention methods. Students will be using microscopes to look at their own cells! Mr. Morgan and Mrs. Greenelsh will be teaming up to co-teach this unit!
- Social Studies: Students will be starting a Project Based Learning unit on Mesopotamia near the end of September. Mr. Morgan and Mrs. Greenelsh will be teaming up to co-teach this unit as well!